Putting the right ownership agreements in place
If you're in a business partnership but operating without a partnership agreement, you may be putting your business at risk. We can help you draw up an agreement, no matter what line of business you work in:
- Partnerships - governed by an act of Parliament that is over 120 years old, these types of partnership are most exposed to risk and require a comprehensive partnership agreement to protect the partners.
- Limited Liability Partnerships - we can advise on the structure that best suits your business, and help you put an agreement in place that allows the partners to effectively run the business.
- Conversion to LLP Status - this can bring tax benefits as well as limited liability for partners. We can work closely with our property and employment teams, making sure your freehold and leasehold assets are properly dealt with and that your employees' contracts are transferred to the new LLP.
- Limited Partnerships - these are relatively uncommon but are used by investors who don't want to play an active part in the management of their investment. Thanks to our expertise in the financial investment sector, we know how to draft and manage an agreement for you.
- Partnership Disputes - our team will help to resolve any dispute quickly, cost-effectively and amicably.
Sorting out your shareholder agreements in the early stages of your business is time well spent. Without agreed documents in place you might have ex-employees walking away with shares, shareholders with a small shareholding blocking decisions, or in the worst case scenario, a company that cannot be sold however good your actual business.
We can advise you on the broader commercial issues such as taxation and share valuation as well as company law issues.
We can help you with:
- Review, drafting and negotiation of shareholder agreements and documentation
- Minority shareholder protection and share plans
- Post termination restrictions and covenants in shareholder agreements
- Share option schemes and similar incentive arrangements
- Shareholder disputes
- Recovery of shares from existing shareholders