Protecting your business
Legal issues surrounding any family problem will often have additional stresses and difficulties. Our Family team understand the sensitive nature of family proceedings and the long term impact and challenges that can surround them. We treat clients with dignity, respect and empathy at a very difficult time in their lives.
It may be a family matter, but many cases involve complex business negotiations and we have a great deal of experience in this area. In fact many of our commercial clients use our family team because of our business expertise. We can help with relationship breakdown, children and financial arrangements . We can also help you to preserve your wealth for future generations.
BPE's Corporate Will service provides family business owners with a joined up approach to succession planning addressing issues such as:
- What happens to your shareholding upon your death
- What would happen to your shareholding in the event of marital breakdown
- Who makes business decisions if you become incapacitated for some reason
Our Corporate Will service looks at:
- The existing Articles of Association and any Shareholder's Agreements and advice on any proposed changes
- Putting in place powers of attorney in relation to business and personal financial decisions
- Making/updating Wills to sit neatly alongside this
- Considering general succession planning for the business
- Inheritance tax planning
- Insurance options to provide cash on the death of an owner to buy back shares
- Protection in respect of divorce or separation
The beauty of a Corporate Will is it is paid for by the business.
Businesses form part of the assets to be shared on divorce and are a central part of financial proceedings and discussions. Some businessses are merely income streams, but if one spouse owns a business outright, or has a shareholding in a business then it's normal practice to ask for the business to be valued.
It may be a family matter, but many cases involve complex business negotiations and we have a great deal of experience in this area. In fact many of our commercial clients use our family team because of our business expertise. We can help with relationship breakdown, children and financial arrangements and support you in preserving your wealth for future generations.