Cost for Grant of Probate Applications Remains the Same
Following on from our previous article on the proposed increase in Grant of Probate Applications, it has been announced that these increases will not take effect until June at the earliest.
The proposed fee increases are as follows:
• £0 (estates worth £0 to £50,000)
• £300 (estates worth £50,001 to £300,000)
• £1,000 (estates worth £300,001 to £500,000)
• £4,000 (estates worth £500,001 to £1,000,000)
• £8,000 (estates worth £1,000,001 to £1,600,000)
• £12,000 (estates worth £1,600,001 to £2,000,000)
• £20,000 (estates worth more than £2,000,001)
However, due to the postponement, the current probate court fee will remain as follows:
•£155 (application through a solicitor); or
•£215 (personal application)
The reason given for postponing the introduction of the proposed fee increases is that, due to the upcoming General Election on 8 June, there is insufficient time for the necessary legislation to go through Parliament.
The proposed fee increases will not come into force until at least June.
This is something that BPE’s Private Wealth team is more than happy to assist you and your family/friends with if help is needed. If you need any further information then please speak to one of the team.
These notes have been prepared for the purpose of an article only. They should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice.