Call us on 01242 224433

Regulatory Bodies

Regulation is part of everyday life, affecting everything from how you package goods to how you advertise your services. Failure to comply can have serious consequences, such as fines, bad publicity or even prison sentences. We can help make sure you're fully aware of the regulatory obligations, so your business stays compliant.

Trade & Business Associations

Advertising Standards Authority

When advertising your business you need to be mindful of adhering to the relevant legal regulations set out by regulating bodies such as The Advertising Standards Authority, to ensure you don't mislead your customers.

Any branding, statement, quote must not be false or misleading and you're not allowed to advertise the sale of a product if you know you can't meet likely demand.

There are other legal requirements attached to online marketing, handing out brochures or flyers, signage and direct marketing.  

We can help you through the marketing maze and ensure you don't contravene any of the legal requirements.

Care Quality Commission

If you work in the care industry and provide residential or domiciliary services, you will need to adhere to CQC regulations. The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care services in England.

Our team can advise on CQC regulations and how they impact upon your business.  BPE can also support you with property leases and the sale or purchase of a care home business

Charity Commission

The internal structure of a charity may look similar to other businesses, but the legal structure is completely different.

The governing documents of a charity are wholly different to any other form of organisation and the charity should be run by a board of trustees who owe obligations to the Charities Commission and the charity members.

Every charity has to demonstrate it provides a benefit to the public, meets fundraising regulations, and ensure that any activities fall within the scope of the charity's objectives.

Charity Commission registers and regulates all charities in England & Wales and takes enforcement action against organisations that should be adhering to the regulations but aren't.

We can help you make sure your charity meets all of its legal obligations right from the start.

We provide Third Sector businesses the complete package, which includes advising on employment law, property law, commercial law (such as intellectual property and commercial contracts, sponsorship agreements and trading terms and conditions) and trusts.

Companies House

Companies House is the registrar of companies and limited liability partnerships in the UK. If you are looking to start up new business, or if your business is going through a change in ownership or management structure, we can complete and file the relevant forms to ensure what's registered reflects the true nature of your business.  

Competition and Markets Authority

Whatever the size of your business and the market you operate in, if you're trading in the UK and Europe, you need to be aware of competition law. It can be incredibly complicated, but if you make a mistake the consequences could be severe, with fines or even jail terms for directors.

The Competition and Markets Authority investigates agreements/transactions which could restrict competition and markets where there may be competition and consumer problems.

  • It investigates breaches of UK or EU prohibitions against anti-competitive agreements and abuses of dominant positions and brings criminal proceedings against individuals who commit the cartel offence
  • It enforces consumer protection legislation and co-operates with sector regulators and considers regulatory references and appeals

We can help you make sure your agreements and business structures are compliant with competition law, keeping your business safe and helping you to operate more effectively, focusing on the business rather than the law.

Nominet or ICANN

Domain names are a precious commodity they are a valuable brand asset.  This can lead to pressure to become the first to register or problems when someone registers a domain that's similar to yours.  Domain names and disputes are managed according to policies set by ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.

Nominet manages the dot UK and dot wales/dot cymru domain name register and works with businesses to create individual domains, providing domain name registry and look up services, domain name security and VoIP services (Voice over Internet Protocol.)

If you're concerned about the use of a domain name, or you own a domain that another company wants, we can help.  We work closely with the regulatory bodies to ensure policies are being adhered to and know how to take action if someone is infringing upon your brand.  We can also support you with Cybersquatting, gripe sites and any trade mark infringement that may have occurred. 

European or foreign trade mark or IP registries

BPE can advise on registering Trade Marks in the UK as well as abroad as well as deal with the application process on your behalf. We can also advise on TM challenges in/from other countries. 

Financial Services Authority

The Financial Services Authority is the regulator of all financial services in the UK. It has a wide range of rule-making/regulatory, investigatory and enforcement powers.

When it comes to signing financial agreements we can advise whether the actions being taken are allowed under FSA regulations or whether the parties involved need to be FSA regulated to ensure their transactions are legal. 

Information Commissioner's Office

The Information Commissioner's Office is responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act.

We can advise on DPA and FOIA requests, requirements and enforcement.


If you provide a service that involves caring for children and or young people, it's likely you'll be regulated by OFSTED (Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills).

We can advise you on all the legal requirements and regulations you'll need to adhere to. 

If you work in the creative industries, whether it be performing or making music, publishing or writing, we can advise you on any licences you might require from the relevant regulatory organisation.

Whether you need a license to play or perform music from the Performing Rights Society, want to re-use a published work or some data, or want to photocopy information from magazines, we know the guidelines set out by the Newspaper Licensing Authority and Copyright License Authority.

Need help? Please get in touch.

Trading Standards

Trading standards and consumer protection laws look mainly at three broad factors:

  • What and where you sell or trade - whether this is goods and/or services, age restricted products, on or off premises
  • How you treat your customers - unfair trading, pricing, contracts, refunds, repairs, replacements
  • Specific business activities - such as poduct safety, food composition and hygeiene, animal welfare and feeding stuffs.

If you have any questions about trading standards, please get in touch with our Commercial team.

UK Intellectual Property Office

The Intellectual Property Office is the official government body responsible for intellectual property rights.  There are three main forms of protection for your ideas; patents, designs and copyright.  Patents protect concepts, methods of manufacture and the way a product works.  Design registration only protects the external appearance of a project.  Copyright protects a piece of work, a piece of writing, photograph, music or a performance.  You can also protect an original idea by the law of confidence and there are other forms of intellectual property rights. 

We can talk you through the best form of protection for you, whatever you are working on and wherever you are located whether in the UK or overseas. We advise on all aspects of the IPR including creation, ownership, registration, renewal, infringement, licensing and how to use/exploit it to further/develop the business.

Your Industry's Regulator

The Commercial team at BPE deals with a wide range of regulatory matters and bodies and can review industry regulations and provide advice on the content and implications of them upon your business. 

Marketing, Advertising & PR Agencies

If you are working with Marketing, PR or Advertising agencies we can make sure any proposed campaigns are legally compliant and, should things not go according to plan, ensure your supplier contracts protect your business. Do you know exactly what you're paying your agency for?  We can make sure you do.

Get in touch